The School Newspaper of Coldwater High School.

Mirror Multimedia: Students view the dress code as unfair

Every year around late April or early May our school comes to the same issue; the school dress code.

It’s the first time of the year that it is hot out and students want to stay cool.

The issue here is that the students can’t stay comfortable because we have what some might consider a restrictive dress code.

Beyond restrictive, some people think that the dress code doesn’t make much sense, and isn’t fair.

Your shoulders, legs, stomach, breasts and back cannot be shown.

But if you’re a boy and your “bro tank” hangs low under your arms, that’s fine.

If a guy sags their pants to show off their  “super cool” underwear, the general consensus is that  someone might say something to them, but you won’t be dress coded.

A girl of course, would be dress coded for such an infraction.

The shorts rule is a mess-the rule that says that shorts extend within 6 inches of the middle of the kneecap, but there is no limit on what type of leggings can be worn, even though they accentuate the female form.

What exactly is the shorts policy trying to protect boys from?

Not to mention the fact no boy has ever gotten in trouble for staring at at a girl, yet girls still have to cover so much of there bodies.

Which brings up the point again, that the boys dress code is tailored to the style today, while girls are left to wear shorts that aren’t often sold or desired to be worn.

It’s difficult shopping for “school appropriate” clothes because there hardly are any.

When a girl walks into a store to buy clothes, her options are denim shorts that are probably more than 6 inches above the knee. Not only that, but the tank tops might have an open back or only 1 inch thick straps.

These things don’t have to be provocative if we quit making them provocative.

The dress code isn’t all all bad, however. There does need to be some sort of limit on what all students wear, but the dress code should not only be written equally, but equally enforced.

Infograph: Is the dress code fair?
Audio: My Dress Code Story
Dress Code Game
VIDEO: Is the school dress code fair?

the chs mirror • Copyright 2017 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in