The School Newspaper of Coldwater High School.

the chs mirror

What $50 Taught Me

Picking up a new sport in high school

The author runs her first cross country race, which she described as

The author runs her first cross country race, which she described as "long and muddy."

by Madison Fougerousse, Mirror Staff

This school year I’ve participated in two high school sports that I had not played before, and let me tell you I’ve learned a lot.  

In the fall I ran cross country for the first time, and this spring I am playing on the soccer team after not having played since I was 5 years old

One of the things I’ve learned is that trying something new there are going to be a a lot of ups and downs.

A new sport might mean  getting hurt and making mistakes, but it can also mean accomplishing something you didn’t think you could, or learning a new skill.

The key is to remember that it won’t be all sunshine and roses.

You are going to have to learn how to get through the hard times and use the good times to get you farther.

For example, if you make a mistake instead of shrugging your shoulders, or giving up, you need to use that mistake as an example for what you need to do next time.

To play a new sport you need to do a few things. You need to be able to take criticism, not be afraid to just go for it, and you need to not be afraid to fail.

Joining a new sport can open you to criticism from coaches who usually work with students who have played before, and from your teammates who think you know things that you might not.

In order to deal with the inevitable criticism you have to steel yourself to what they say and just take it.  

The coach and your teammates just want to get you up to speed quick enough that you won’t look pathetic during competition, so if you can’t deal with their criticism maybe a new sport isn’t for you.

It became easier for me to know that they weren’t not doing it to hurt me or make me feel bad, but instead they wanted me to succeed.

Besides to learn a new sport that you don’t really understand you will never get better without people constantly telling you what you did wrong.

On the bright side, I can tell you that it isn’t all dark clouds because when you play a new sport, you get a lot of encouragement from the same coaches and teammates, as well as parents and others.

After doing cross country and basketball this year, I had planned to take the spring off until my friend on the soccer team told me they desperately needed players.

I didn’t think anything of it because I hadn’t played soccer ever.  Believe it or not, the reason I went out was that my mom told me that she’d give me $50 if I did go out for the team.

So for $50 I decided to just go for it.  

And that is really the attitude that you need to take into a brand new sport.

You need to pretty much not have any cares and just do it, no matter what you think the outcome might be.

If I hadn’t just gone ahead and went out for cross country I wouldn’t have gotten faster which lead to me doing better in my other sports.

Also, If I had never tried soccer I would never have found out that I’m semi good at it.

You just have to get over your fears and go for it because if you don’t you may never know what good things it could have lead to.

A big thing that might be tough in trying out for a brand new sport is overcoming the fear trying out new things entails.

The terrible thing about fear is that fear leads to doubt, which then leads to failure.

Everyone know that those things go hand in hand and that’s probably why people are scared to try a new sport. They are simply  afraid of failing. Which is an okay thing if you can deal with it and get over it.

Something that is probably the hardest things to overcome when trying a new sport is just getting yourself confident enough to go out for the sport.

It is a lot harder than most people would think to get enough courage to try something new, but there is not failure when you try.

Well, there is, but it isn’t as big of a failure as not trying out at all.  At least in my opinion, that is true.

So do not be afraid to fail.

You are going to fail more than once definitely and that’s okay. Failing is just another chance for you to learn for next time.

Without failing you wouldn’t know what you did wrong to fix it and make yourself better.

Failing is not just something you do when you are not good at something, it is something you do to learn so that you do get good at something.

To try a new sport is very hard, I will admit.

But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do it. I encourage you to push yourself to just do it.  

The benefits of being in a new sport far outweigh the things that might keep you from going out for the sport.

Try it and see how it goes because maybe you will it to be one of the best decisions of your life.

• What $50 Taught Me

Mirror's Best

Senior Perspective: Racing Against Time

• What $50 Taught Me

Mirror's Best

Same Crap Different Day

• Mirror's Best

The People Matter

• What $50 Taught Me

Mirror's Best

Would you feel safer at CHS if concealed weapons were permitted?

• What $50 Taught Me

Mirror's Best

Should It Really Take 3 months To Log on?

• What $50 Taught Me

Mirror's Best

When does removing a student from class go too far?

• What $50 Taught Me

Mirror's Best

Backpacks should not be in classrooms

• What $50 Taught Me

A&E

Tired, Stressed, and Bored

• What $50 Taught Me

FYI

10 Simple Steps to Eating Clean

• What $50 Taught Me

Cardinal Voices

The best of Rome

What $50 Taught Me