The School Newspaper of Coldwater High School.

the chs mirror

Immigration Ban is Anti-America

by Emily Foulk, Mirror Staff

The news of the Trump administration  immigration ban spread quickly across the nation as people began to be stopped at airports.  Many were outraged across America,  but for many students we didn’t clearly know what it is.

The immigration ban that was put in place stated that  for 90 days people from these select few countries: Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. It banned accepting all refugees from these countries for 120 days and Syrian refugees forever.

In my opinion, the immigration is targeting certain people and it focuses on the typical stereotype: “Terrorists come from that country.”

However, how can you target one group of people just because that’s where they are from?

What if these countries were largely Christian countries, would the Trump administration want to ban those countries then?

The are many legal immigrants in this country that was built on immigrants from all over the world, as well as illegal immigrants.

While it’s not right that immigrants come in illegally, something must be going on in their home country for them to choose to leave.

For instance, in Syria and Yemen there are wars going on that are tearing up their country, and the refugees who are leaving their country are seeking safety..

These are normal people who want to better their family and themselves in society. It seems likely that these immigrants are trying to live a better life, just like the rest of us.

By closing our borders to certain countries we are closing  down the opportunity to learn about other cultures for both the immigrants and Americans.

The Statue of Liberty states, “Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

Immigrants should feel welcome to the United States, not that their life isn’t worthy of being in the United States because of the fear of terrorism.

It seems to me that if the people are supporting these immigrants because they support them in choosing to come to America, then the government should be okay with immigrants coming to America.

America was built on immigration. The new immigration ban might stop “terrorists,” but by closing our borders to people who need to flee their country, it makes us seem ignorant of other people and countries problems.

Some people believe that because immigrants or refugees come from different countries that they are lesser than them, but that is untrue.

A belief that many who are against immigration hold is that immigrants take American jobs, which is true, but immigrants take jobs that Americans usually don’t want, such as working in the hot fields of farms all summer long.

The acceptance of immigrants is hard for many, but one thing that everybody needs to remember is that every person in the world deserves a chance to better themselves in society.  

Its also important to remember that this is a country of immigrants, and chances are once upon a time someone in your family yearned for a better life, just like today’s immigrants.

• Immigration Ban is Anti-America

Mirror's Best

Senior Perspective: Racing Against Time

• Immigration Ban is Anti-America

Mirror's Best

Same Crap Different Day

• Mirror's Best

The People Matter

• Immigration Ban is Anti-America

Mirror's Best

Would you feel safer at CHS if concealed weapons were permitted?

• Immigration Ban is Anti-America

Mirror's Best

Should It Really Take 3 months To Log on?

• Immigration Ban is Anti-America

Mirror's Best

When does removing a student from class go too far?

• Immigration Ban is Anti-America

Mirror's Best

Backpacks should not be in classrooms

• Immigration Ban is Anti-America

A&E

Tired, Stressed, and Bored

• Immigration Ban is Anti-America

FYI

10 Simple Steps to Eating Clean

• Immigration Ban is Anti-America

Cardinal Voices

The best of Rome

Immigration Ban is Anti-America