The School Newspaper of Coldwater High School.

the chs mirror

New Cancer Treatment

by Shane OǴrady

After multiple test subjects have gone through therapy in attempt to gain more knowledge about a cure for cancer, a cancer therapy has now been proven to be effective at sending cancer into remission after the therapy happened.

In the trial, cells from the immune system called killer t-cells were taken out of dozens of patients. The cells normally act like bombs destroying infected tissue.

The researchers genetically modified the t-cells to create a new targeting mechanism with the name of chimeric antigen receptors which are used to target acute lymphoblastic leukaemia.

Scientists drew the the white blood cells of the patients with leukemia and modified them before they put them back into the bloods owner causing the cancer to go into remission.

The patients were really at the end of the line in terms of treatment options and yet a single dose of this therapy put more than ninety percent of these patients in complete remission where we can’t detect any of these leukaemia cells.” says Dr.Jeff Gallagher

This is a step forward for the medical field and another step forward to finally finding a way to cure cancer. However, a remission doesn’t mean the cancer is gone. Remission just means that the cancer is still there but isn’t growing.

We will have to do further research before we find a way to actually kill off the cancer cells, but this is one of the steps to possibly killing it from the body.The experts who performed this experiment claim it is a “baby step” to curing cancer.

Another issue with this treatment of therapy is that seven of the patients developed cytokine release syndrome so severe that they required intensive care, leading to the death of two of the patients.

Cytokine Release Syndrome is a disease created from antibodies after a T-Cell form of a cancer therapy.

So this could send the majority of people into remission, but could kill you if you’re allergic to the treatment. Doctors aren’t sure what caused the cytokine but my guess would be it being a blood type issue.

Blood types are what are holding back the cure for many diseases since diseases and cures usually affect people with certain blood types.

But we could use this type of therapy and find a way to implement it into other blood types if that is the issue. It could be a type of component that the doctors put into their blood to cause some of the cytokine.

But just because this therapy doesn’t work doesn’t mean they can’t go into remission. Since it is only a baby step means that it doesn’t determine if you can or cannot be cured.

Although this may seem like a bit of a setback for some since it resulted in death for two people and created more diseases for others. It is a step forward to finally being able to cure cancer.

• New Cancer Treatment

Mirror's Best

Senior Perspective: Racing Against Time

• New Cancer Treatment

Mirror's Best

Same Crap Different Day

• Mirror's Best

The People Matter

• New Cancer Treatment

Mirror's Best

Would you feel safer at CHS if concealed weapons were permitted?

• New Cancer Treatment

Mirror's Best

Should It Really Take 3 months To Log on?

• New Cancer Treatment

Mirror's Best

When does removing a student from class go too far?

• New Cancer Treatment

Mirror's Best

Backpacks should not be in classrooms

• New Cancer Treatment

A&E

Tired, Stressed, and Bored

• New Cancer Treatment

FYI

10 Simple Steps to Eating Clean

• New Cancer Treatment

Cardinal Voices

The best of Rome

New Cancer Treatment