The School Newspaper of Coldwater High School.

the chs mirror

Living With Depression and Anxiety

by Hannah Hollands, Mirror Staff

Every day nearly 80,000 children and young people suffer from severe depression, and since 1980 the number of teens 15-16 who suffer from depression has nearly doubled.

Anxiety and depression are two on the most common mental disorders among teenagers.

According to youngminds.org,  4.4% of young people have an anxiety disorder, which means up to 40 Coldwater High School students could be struggling with anxiety right now.

Additionally, 1.4% of 11 to 16 year olds are severely depressed.   It is important to know this because those who suffer from depression have a history of suffering from anxiety as well.

There is no proof that one disorder causes the other, but there is evidence that people can suffer from both disorders.

There are 7 different types of anxiety disorders, which include Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), social phobia, panic disorder, agoraphobia, phobias, PTSD, and OCD.

The types of depression include major depression, persistent depressive disorder, bipolar disorder, seasonal affective disorder (SAD), psychotic depression, postpartum depression, premenstrual dysphoric depression (PMDD), situational depression, and atypical depression.

Many different things can trigger anxiety and depression. Some ways are different for other people. Cultural changes, society, divorced parents, environmental factors, brain chemistry, substance abuse, traumatic events, medical factors, genetics and many other things can trigger or cause your depression and/or anxiety.  

There are many different things in teens that can cause anxiety and they can often influence each other.

Normal hormonal shifts and mood swings in both males and females cause anxiety among teens, especially during puberty.

The stress that teens get from bodily changes can increase their anxiety, too.

Peer pressure and social pressure can cause a lot of stress for many reasons, including trying to meet the expectations of others, as well as parental rules and social rules, which can be factors in increasing  anxiety.

Mental and physical abuse can also cause anxiety.

Depression and anxiety are common psychiatric problems that can be greatly helped with the aid of professional counseling, medication, or a combination of both.  If you think you can no longer control your feelings of depression, it is important to find help.

Some ways you can try to avoid from having an anxiety attack include:

Try to avoid situations where you know your anxiety will be triggered. Do not overwhelm yourself or get into situations that may be overwhelming. Make sure you know your limits.

1. When you feel that your anxiety is getting out of control ask yourself if you’re getting enough sleep. Getting enough sleep is very important for those who suffer from anxiety, depression or both.
  2. Make sure that you are eating a healthy diet and getting enough exercise.
  3. Always try to avoid anxiety and depression inducing  foods and drinks such as coffee, alcohol, hydrogenated oil, fast food, trans fat, high-sodium foods, and foods with sugar or starch in them (cookies, ice cream, or pasta).
  4. Exercising may help with relieving your anxiety and depression. Try doing yoga or whatever you feel benefits you the most.
  5. Try to use deep breathing mechanisms this helps lower your stress levels and make your breathing steady. It’s most common to do this when you have an anxiety attack or you’re about to have one.  
  6. Find something that you love to do like reading, listening to music, or sports. Doing this can help bring you to peace and limits your chances of having an anxiety attack.

There are so many different ways to help deal with your anxiety. You just have to find what is best for you. Not everything that works for you will work for others. It all depends on the person.

Individuals who cannot control their anxiety on their own should seek professional help.

• Living With Depression and Anxiety

Mirror's Best

Senior Perspective: Racing Against Time

• Living With Depression and Anxiety

Mirror's Best

Same Crap Different Day

• Mirror's Best

The People Matter

• Living With Depression and Anxiety

Mirror's Best

Would you feel safer at CHS if concealed weapons were permitted?

• Living With Depression and Anxiety

Mirror's Best

Should It Really Take 3 months To Log on?

• Living With Depression and Anxiety

Mirror's Best

When does removing a student from class go too far?

• Living With Depression and Anxiety

Mirror's Best

Backpacks should not be in classrooms

• Living With Depression and Anxiety

A&E

Tired, Stressed, and Bored

• Living With Depression and Anxiety

FYI

10 Simple Steps to Eating Clean

• Living With Depression and Anxiety

Cardinal Voices

The best of Rome

Living With Depression and Anxiety