The School Newspaper of Coldwater High School.

the chs mirror

From Hating Math to Teaching It

by Alyass Thabet, MIRROR STAFF

The common thought is that your math teachers have always lived, breathed, and loved math, in all its many forms.

Not so, for Coldwater High School teacher, Sam Wendorf.

“I hated math with a passion back when I was still in junior high and high school. I had been bad at math much since I had first started doing it as a kid.”

Mrs. Wendorf teaches Algebra 2 at Coldwater High School, Michigan. Although it is a junior class, sophomores, freshmen and seniors take it, freshman being the least amount.

When Mrs. Wendorf was little, still in junior high, she did not like math at all.

She had not liked it because it would take her longer than the other students to understand the lesson her teacher was giving. Mrs. Wendorf did not have the best of grades in her class because  she had such a hard time with it.

After junior high, Wendorf enrolled in a new high school that was a new environment for her. The high school she had enrolled in was Dearborn Edsel Ford.

At Dearborn Edsel Ford, Wendorf took the regular academic classes required for the grade level she was in.

When taking the math classes, Mrs. Wendorf realized that they were becoming harder and harder to understand, so she had an even harder time with math in high school than in middle school.

By time she had moved through the high school math curriculum of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry,Wendorf had hated math so much.

After graduation, Mrs. Wendorf applied at Eastern Michigan University, and wanted to become a nurse.

“I was going to become a nurse, but when I found out that I was terrified at the sight of blood, I knew I had to pick a different career”

Her college curriculum required math, which she was sure she would hate, but the opposite ended up being true.

Wendorf was surprised at how easily she understood what was taught, even though it was college level math.

“After taking the college level math, I realized how easy math really is. Since I could not be a nurse, I decided to teach.”

“If I was not going to be a nurse, I decided that I would teach as a career.”

Armed with a newfound understanding of math, she decided to become a math teacher.
The rest is history.  Wendorf has taught 8th grade math at Legg Middle School, geometry, Algebra I, and Algebra II which she currently teaches here at the high school.

• From Hating Math to Teaching It

Mirror's Best

Senior Perspective: Racing Against Time

• From Hating Math to Teaching It

Mirror's Best

Same Crap Different Day

• Mirror's Best

The People Matter

• From Hating Math to Teaching It

Mirror's Best

Would you feel safer at CHS if concealed weapons were permitted?

• From Hating Math to Teaching It

Mirror's Best

Should It Really Take 3 months To Log on?

• From Hating Math to Teaching It

Mirror's Best

When does removing a student from class go too far?

• From Hating Math to Teaching It

Mirror's Best

Backpacks should not be in classrooms

• From Hating Math to Teaching It

A&E

Tired, Stressed, and Bored

• From Hating Math to Teaching It

FYI

10 Simple Steps to Eating Clean

• From Hating Math to Teaching It

Cardinal Voices

The best of Rome

From Hating Math to Teaching It