The School Newspaper of Coldwater High School.

the chs mirror

Burns enjoys teaching English

by Kiersten Knapp, Mirror Staff

Mrs. Andrea Burns is an English teacher here at Coldwater High School.  Her major is in English and her minor is in physical education.

She’s been teaching for 9 years, having taught in Benton Harbor for 4 years, then at Muskegon for a year until she was laid off, and then four years here at CHS..

Since she has worked at Coldwater High School, Mrs. Burns  would agree that Coldwater has been a good school to teach at because there is never a dull moment and she enjoys all the extra activities and celebrations.

Mrs. Burns enjoys this job because it allows her to meet new people and she is always being challenged to do new things, even if she teaches the same thing each year because it allows her to teach them in different ways to different students.

She has taught the 10th, 11th and 12th grades, but currently teaches the 10th grade. SHe prefers to teach high schoolers instead of elementary or middle school, mainly due to the maturity of the students.

“I like high school students better because there is more of a focus on academics.  I don’t have to worry about teaching kids things like tying their shoes and putting the caps back on their markers,” Burns said.

“Also, we can read, write, and discuss more mature and relevant topics.  I also like to joke around, and younger kids don’t always get that.”

Burns has also taught at the middle school level before, and even coached cross country for awhile and found it fun, but it’s the mindset of the kids that explains why she prefers the high schoolers, so again the maturity level of them.

Before she started her actual teaching career as an English teacher, she was a reading specialist for a year, which utilized her graduate degree rather than her undergraduate major.

Burns didn’t know she wanted to be an English teacher until she had enrolled into college.  She had some ideas of what she wanted to do,  but wasn’t anything she’d really stick with.

Mrs. Burns was inspired by her wonderful AP English teacher in high school who prompted her to be very interested in Shakespeare, and then taking a Shakespeare class and some writing classes as electives for her senior year in high school.  

That’s when she had decided that she wanted to do something with reading and writing in college, and teaching just seemed to fit the spot.

Although Burns said that, f for some reason she had ever stopped or had taken on a different career, it would be involved with writing and becoming an author or becoming something involved with animals.

Burns likes to see her student succeed and will do whatever it is she can do to help the student stay happy and passing as much as possible!

• Burns enjoys teaching English

Mirror's Best

Senior Perspective: Racing Against Time

• Burns enjoys teaching English

Mirror's Best

Same Crap Different Day

• Mirror's Best

The People Matter

• Burns enjoys teaching English

Mirror's Best

Would you feel safer at CHS if concealed weapons were permitted?

• Burns enjoys teaching English

Mirror's Best

Should It Really Take 3 months To Log on?

• Burns enjoys teaching English

Mirror's Best

When does removing a student from class go too far?

• Burns enjoys teaching English

Mirror's Best

Backpacks should not be in classrooms

• Burns enjoys teaching English

A&E

Tired, Stressed, and Bored

• Burns enjoys teaching English

FYI

10 Simple Steps to Eating Clean

• Burns enjoys teaching English

Cardinal Voices

The best of Rome

Burns enjoys teaching English