The School Newspaper of Coldwater High School.

the chs mirror

Lets End the Discussion about Body Image

by Stella Beerman, Mirror Staff

We need to stop talking about body image.

When we, as a society, stop talking about body image, more than likely young girls (and boys) will stop judging their  bodies.

No more criticizing certain body types and no more trying to find something good to say about something many people don’t feel good about.

Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with loving yourself.  In fact,  it’s a great start to something even greater. I hope that someday we live in a world where our bodies will not be the center of our lives, though.

I hope that we will live in a place where we don’t give our bodies a second thought.  Only then will we live in a place where people do what they love, whether that’s painting, running, reading or whatever.

Truly doing what you want to do is only possible without worrying about the amount of fat that occupies their bodies while they doing it.

Of course, staying healthy is important. too, but being healthy has nothing to do with your body image, which is something I learned recently while attending tennis conditioning.

At 173.6 pounds, the body image message would be that I wasn’t in the “ideal” shape, but  at this conditioning session I learned that my legs, that I was so scared to show under my running pants, could run faster than the 130 pound girl next to me.

I learned that the arms I spend so much time hating could hold planks longer than the skinnier girls next to me.

Our weight and fitness didn’t have much correlation.

So telling me that putting a stop to talking about body image is promoting obesity and unhealthy living is irrelevant. Telling me to change my body because it’s ¨unhealthy¨ is irrelevant.

Ignoring our bodies is not a bad thing. Who you are has nothing to do with the amount of fat on your body, whether it’s a lot or none at all, you’re a person, not a body.

I hate getting on Facebook and seeing people post things like “Thick girls are winning.” I also hate seeing the posts that say “Collar bones or cake?” and “Flat tummy or pizza?”

Like can you just stop?

Let’s stop saying things that make people look at themselves in the mirror and worry about what they see.

It’s incredibly stupid to see social media praising a doll company for making a “realistic” Barbie doll.

How about we start teaching young girls to stop comparing themselves to a doll and teach them how they are worth so much more than that.

Everyone should be able to realize that they are so much more than there bodies.

It’s important to know that what others see isn’t always what’s real. Just because other people can’t see your worth doesn’t mean that it isn’t there.

When we can accomplish this as a society is when we will know true self worth.

• Lets End the Discussion about Body Image

Mirror's Best

Senior Perspective: Racing Against Time

Mirror's Best

Same Crap Different Day

• Mirror's Best

The People Matter

Mirror's Best

Would you feel safer at CHS if concealed weapons were permitted?

Mirror's Best

Should It Really Take 3 months To Log on?

Mirror's Best

When does removing a student from class go too far?

Mirror's Best

Backpacks should not be in classrooms

A&E

Tired, Stressed, and Bored

FYI

10 Simple Steps to Eating Clean

Cardinal Voices

The best of Rome