The School Newspaper of Coldwater High School.

the chs mirror

Adulthood Isn’t All Fun and Games

by Gracen Yates, Mirror Staff

Everyone says that senior year is the mark of adulthood, but I say that’s a lie.

Some may think they’ve reached adulthood, but most don’t even know what what it really means to be an adult.

True adulthood happens when you have to fend and care for yourself, and there comes a point of no turning back.

I reached this point in my life junior year, and I’ve been fighting ever since, and through my struggles of trying to figure out life,

I’ve learned more in the past year than I learned in the previous sixteen years of my life, and I want to share some of these things with you, so you don’t make the same mistakes that I did.

The first and most important lesson I learned was to save money.

Your parents always say it and you never listen, but when you’re struggling to pay your first month’s rent and a security deposit to guarantee you get an apartment, you’ll wish you had listened.

If you haven’t already, go open a savings account. Even if you only put back $20 a month, something is better than nothing.

Second, it is important to realize that everyone who ever said they are there for you always, is probably lying.

Three of the many people who said they wouldn’t leave my side are left, and one of them is my boyfriend.

Once somebody sees you struggling, they don’t want to be your friend anymore; they only want to be there doing the good times. When the going gets tough, the tough get going, but the weak get left behind.

Quality over quantity is something that comes to the surface when you truly reach adulthood, so don’t feel bad when you are left with the quality friends who stuck by you in the thin times.

Third, what kind of car you have doesn’t matter.

My car is 20 years old (older than me), but I would still pick it everyday over someone else’s nicer and newer car. Sometimes it’s better to stick with the old than go with the new. Why fix something if it isn’t broken?

As long as I have something to get me from point A to point B, I am grateful.  I don’t care if the outside is dirty, or that I’m missing a few hubcaps. As an adult, the only thing I care about is being able to get to work so I can pay my bills.

Fourth, you have to learn to do things for yourself.

Be prepared that being on your own means being on your own.  Whether it be making an appointment, paying bills, getting insurance, or anything else, for that matter, you will be taking care of these things yourself.

Once you hit adulthood it’s you all on your own. I’ve had to schedule my own car repairs, buy things I never thought I would have had to buy (like a bed!), and do my own grocery shopping. I’ve learned that if I don’t do these things, no one will, so it is important to learn to do things on your own.

Fifth, and finally, always do stuff that will better your future. If you get an opportunity to do something that could better you or your future, take it.

At this point, your decisions are what make or break you, so always have your future in mind.

If, after reading this, you realize you haven’t really become an adult yet, be sure to thank your lucky stars because adulthood is not what it is cracked up to be.

• Adulthood Isn’t All Fun and Games

Mirror's Best

Senior Perspective: Racing Against Time

• Adulthood Isn’t All Fun and Games

Mirror's Best

Same Crap Different Day

• Mirror's Best

The People Matter

• Adulthood Isn’t All Fun and Games

Mirror's Best

Would you feel safer at CHS if concealed weapons were permitted?

• Adulthood Isn’t All Fun and Games

Mirror's Best

Should It Really Take 3 months To Log on?

• Adulthood Isn’t All Fun and Games

Mirror's Best

When does removing a student from class go too far?

• Adulthood Isn’t All Fun and Games

Mirror's Best

Backpacks should not be in classrooms

• Adulthood Isn’t All Fun and Games

A&E

Tired, Stressed, and Bored

• Adulthood Isn’t All Fun and Games

FYI

10 Simple Steps to Eating Clean

• Adulthood Isn’t All Fun and Games

Cardinal Voices

The best of Rome

Adulthood Isn’t All Fun and Games